HOW To Move To Canada As A Teacher

You can move to Canada as a teacher from your country, but you need to read through this step-by-step post to know how to move to Canada as a teacher.

Teaching is one of the most in-demand professions in Canada, but finding the right job is critical for immigration. Although there is a demand for educators in almost every province in Canada, there are disparities in the number and kind of teaching jobs available from one province to the next.


Canada is viewed as a place of opportunity, both for its residents and for visitors. The Canadian government has created laws and initiatives that encourage professional and talented immigrants to relocate to Canada, work, and reside.

However, it is not always easy to migrate to Canada as a teacher without a proper guide, as there are stages to take in the process of migrating to Canada as a teacher.


NOC is an abbreviation for national occupational classification code. Teaching jobs go under the national occupational classification code, thus you should check the NOC code to see which code your work falls under.

The NOC code can be easily found on the Canadian immigration website.
The following are the three primary national occupational categorization codes:

  • For elementary school and kindergarten, the NOC code is 4032.
  • For elementary and secondary school teacher assistants, the NOC code is 4413.
  • Secondary school teachers should use NOC code 4431.

According to the Canadian government, a teacher falls into one of the eight categories listed below:

  • Remedial aid
  • Librarian
  • Teaching aid
  • Supply teacher
  • Educational resource assistant
  • English as a second language (ELS) Teacher
  • Biology teacher
  • Teaching assistant

It is critical that you establish the category and NOC code for your work.



Canada is divided into 10 provinces and three territories, with each province having its own immigration program as well as its own local education and teaching board that governs and monitors teacher quality.

There are several ways to come to Canada as a teacher, but the most prevalent is by express admission through the skilled worker’s stream. You may also be nominated through the provincial nomination process.

Provinces with densely populated cities are more likely to require instructors in order to maintain educational standards.

This is the stage at which you conduct research and learn more about each province’s educational or teaching board, because each province is unique and has various standards for teachers.

Each province, in general, demands that each applicant have a certification that fulfills Canadian standards.

  • A university certificate
  • Comply with the language requirements (French or English)
  • A minimum of two years of work experience.

To be able to teach in Canada, you must be familiar with the teaching curriculum, which is why certification in Canada is recommended.

You must also be physically and mentally fit to teach, with a clean police record, your current age, and your ability to adjust to the Canadian system and environment. You will be given an evaluation to determine your level of adaptability.


When seeking a teaching position in Canada, the first step is to contact a Canadian immigration lawyer. Some of these lawyers provide free or low-cost consultations to help you with your immigration to Canada as a teacher.

It is critical that you obtain a reference letter as confirmation of your teaching expertise before applying for a job. It is also critical to obtain a letter of recommendation from your company, praising your abilities and work experience.

A job offer from a Canadian employer increases your chances of a quick and successful application because it helps persuade Canadian immigration inspectors.

There are numerous job search websites in Canada, including the Canadian Job Bank, jobs in education, Workopolis, and others.


There are several ways to apply for a Canadian visa, but the Canadian government has developed programs to attract professionals and talented individuals to immigrate and work in Canada. There are two major programs for skilled immigrants, which are as follows:

Express entry.
PNP Program.
Express entry is separated into two programs: the federal skilled worker program and the federal skill trade program.

The federal skilled worker program (FSWP) is primarily intended for professionals like as nurses, teachers, dentists, psychologists, accountants, and so on.

The FSWP process is not always simple because your credentials and educational qualifications must be evaluated. It is also necessary to obtain certificates recognized by the Canadian government in order to be considered for a job offer.

The federal skill trade program (FSTP) is primarily for qualified occupations such as plumbers, bakers, cooks, welders, butchers, and others who have at least two years of work experience. The FSTP is primarily intended for persons whose abilities would benefit the expansion of the Canadian economy.

Provincial Nominee Program: This scheme allows each province to nominate and pick immigrants and foreign employees based on the province’s existing demand at the moment.

A province may be in need of teachers right now, while another may be in need of dentists and nurses, and as such, it may nominate visa applicants who will meet the province’s needs at the time.

Before applying through the provincial nominee program (PNP), it is recommended that you conduct research on each province to determine their labor requirements and labor demand.


You can now apply for a visa online or through the Canadian consulate or embassy in your country after conducting thorough research and receiving a job offer from a Canadian business.

Because the entire procedure has been digitalized, it is highly recommended that you begin your visa application online.
You must create an online account and begin the application procedure. The following documents are necessary for application:

  • A valid passport
  • Photograph according to specifications
  • Application form
  • Proof of payment of application fee
  • Medical report
  • Police clearance
  • Financial statement
  • Job offer letter.

In order to make your move to Canada as a teacher process easy, please ensure that you follow the proper procedures, as any deviation will result in the automatic rejection of your application.